<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Living Water

Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Overcomers



I was reading a personal blog where someone was struggling with heavy issues concerning the eminence of death in her family. A sensitive issue with a family member that had abused her as a child. My heart cried for this woman as she is torn between forgiveness and wishing and rejoicing in the death.

Throughout human history I am sure there are many such stories.

One such dealing was recorded in Scripture with Joseph. I often wonder what Joseph would have been thinking as he sat at the bottom of the pit his brothers threw him in.

Genesis 37:19  And they said one to another, Behold, this dreamer cometh.
20  Come now therefore, and let us slay him, and cast him into some pit, and we will say, Some evil beast hath devoured him: and we shall see what will become of his dreams.


While Scripture doesn't record Joseph's pit thoughts, I am sure he was filled with a mixture of feelings. The feelings never overcame Joseph however. We see how in the end he forgives the deed.

Genesis 45:4  And Joseph said unto his brethren, Come near to me, I pray you. And they came near. And he said, I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt.
5  Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life.


Joseph was an overcomer.

We as God's children through Christ also overcome. Mixed feelings against the abuse from others may be there at times, pit thoughts, but in the end we overcome them through Christ. One such overcomer was Paul.

Philippians 4:11  Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.
12  I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.
13  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.


We see that Paul had learned that contentment. It is a learned aspect of God's children and not a natural occurrence to overcome feelings that come naturally through abuse from others.

The Lord Himself has struggled with me throughout this same type learning process. The battle with mixed feelings while we walk this life out. We all have pit thoughts as we learn to deal and overcome.

We know that through Christ, like Joseph and Paul, we are overcomers.

1 John 4:4  Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is he that is in you, than he that is in the world.


It is important to forgive. To rise above being a victim and become the victor.

1 John 5:4  For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.


Through Christ we are the victor and not the victim. Through Christ we are overcomers.
4:56 AM :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

bluhaze :: permalink