<$BlogRSDUrl$>
Living Water

Sunday, April 24, 2005
Notes on our Purpose Driven Church visit.

These notes are simply my observations.
The greeters were very friendly and inviting.
The congregation seemed to be overflowing with teens.
I only noticed one man besides myself carrying a bible.
His was very well read as I could see the tattered edges and pages protruding.

The worship, contemporary, seemed more like watching the band onstage than participation. This watching is something I am not used to and the atmosphere felt to be holding back.

The lights were dimmed after worship to show a small drama on stage of a couple saddened by infertility and thwarted attempts to adopt. They began to question prayer. They left the stage and the pastor emerges.

We were not invited to find scripture as the pastor went through his message. Scripture was placed on a movie screen for all to see.

It started with
NIV Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

The sermon was very good in explaining that sometimes God answers no to our prayers. That God knows what is best for us, and even Paul had answers of no from God when asking for the thorn to be removed from his side.
That if we ask anything according to His will we have the petitions desired.

I did get a little side tracked when he was explaining four prayer categories of-

1- Pessimistic
2-Perplexed
3-Preoccupied
4-Powerful and productive

While I personally felt a little sidetracked I did not hear anything I would consider unbiblical. Some prayer resources were recommended with one being by Charles Stanley. I usually enjoy most anything the Lord provides through Mr. Stanley.

There was no alter call. The offering was taken up at the end with the band playing and we were told that if we were visitors to please not feel we need contribute to the offering. It was for regulars to contribute. We contributed anyway.

There were donuts in the foyer afterward and we were invited to stay, but we had planned to eat out and I felt a little out of place being visitors.

I sort of picked up from the bulletin that there are more intimate settings and studies through the week with smaller group meetings.

Not sure how I feel about it just yet. It was certainly different from what I am used to.
6:24 PM :: ::
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home

bluhaze :: permalink